Digital Imaging for Diagnosis and Treatment in Lafayette, LA
At our Acadiana dental office, we are committed to providing our patients with the very best care possible. One of the ways we do this is through the use of advanced dental technology including digital photography and imaging in addition to digital x-rays.
We began incorporating digital imaging into our practice in 1995 and realized quickly what an incredible advantage we suddenly had in our ability to evaluate, diagnose, and plan treatment solutions for our patients. Recently, we also began to use CBCT scanning with Prexion 3D. This system is similar to the CAT scan you might receive at the hospital, but it is faster and limited to the dental area.
Why Digital Photography and Imaging?
Dentists have been using dental x-rays for decades to see beneath the gums and through the enamel so we can diagnose problems and monitor potential problems. This allows us to treat problems early with more conservative measures or plan treatment to prevent them altogether.
Compared to x-rays, digital photography and imaging technology has a number of advantages:
- You are exposed to less radiation.
- The process is fast since it doesn’t require film development.
- The images are complete and give us a full view of what is going on.
- We are able to perform faster and more accurate diagnoses.
- The process is better for the environment since no chemicals are needed to develop the images.
- Because the images are so clear, we can use them to show you where the problem is and explain easily why we recommend a certain treatment.
What is CBCT scanning?
The Prexion 3D scanner uses CBCT (cone beam computed tomography) technology. This imaging system allows us to see your bone structure and the other tissues of your face in highly detailed 3D.
One of the key ways we use this technology is when we are planning dental implant placement. When you are missing teeth, the bone beneath the missing tooth begins to atrophy from disuse. With the scanner, we can easily check the quality of your bone to make sure it is sufficient for holding the implant in place or if you need some additional assistance from procedures like bone grafts or sinus lifts.
Other uses for Digital Imaging Technology in the 70508 Area
In addition to helping us plan dental implant procedures, we use digital photography and imaging technology to help us diagnose and plan treatment for in a number of other situations including:
- Identifying impacted molars or other teeth to determine whether surgery is the right option and how the surgery should be performed for the best results
- Diagnosing sinus disorders and other conditions that may require surgical correction
- Monitoring changes in your bone density and gum quality if we are treating you for periodontal disease
- Planning and assistance during endodontic surgery
To learn more about digital photography and imaging and see for yourself how we use it in our practice, please give us a call at our Lafayette, LA dental office today.