Dr. J. Jerome Smith, DDS
Dr. Smith was born and raised in Lafayette and attended Our Lady of Fatima from first grade through graduation in 1973. Subsequently, he earned a Bachelor's of Science degree and graduated cum laude from the University of Louisiana, Dr. Smith graduated from LSU's School of Dentistry in 1980 and was a member of the C. Edmund Kells Society as a top graduate. He has spent more than 40 years practicing General Dentistry in Acadiana with an emphasis on implant dentistry and comprehensive adult reconstructive care for the past 36 years.
Memberships and Bio:
- The American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- International Congress of Oral Implantology (Diplomate)
- The American Dental Association
- The Louisiana Dental Association
- The Acadiana District Dental Association (Past President)
- Fellow of the American College of Dentists
- The Committee of 100 at LSU School of Dentistry
- Louisiana Academy of General Dentistry (past C.E. Chairman)
- Recipient of the Marc Lacantro Award for Service (LA Academy of General Dentistry)
- Louisiana State Board of Dentistry
- Louisiana Academy of Continuing Education
- 232-HELP of Acadiana
- Acadiana Chapter of the Louisiana Right to Life
- Pope John Paul the Great school--former board member.
Dr. Smith also serves Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor LSU School of Dentistry. He is co-founder of the Mexico Medical/Dental Project 26 years ago in conjunction with Latin World Ministries in Guererro, Mexico.
Dr. Smith has been published in Dental Implant Digest, The Farran Report, Dentaltown, The Implant Society, LDA Journal, ADDA Quarterly News, The Consumer's Guide to Dentistry, and PPAD. He has given lectures and presentations on a variety of subjects including Practical and Clinical Management of Implant Dentistry in General Dental Practice, and initiated "Implants in Black and White", a live surgery and lecture course that he gives with Dr. Domingue for dentists throughout the U.S. he co-founded in 2003. All of the proceeds from this course are contributed to the Mexico Medical/Dental Project.
He is married to the former Germaine Gerami for the past 42 years, has 2 daughters, Katheryne and Caroline and 4 grandchildren, Ava Grace, Rosie Kate, Jefferson and Peter.
Dr. Smith enjoys fishing in South Louisiana and Alaska, duck hunting, biking and writing in his spare time.